On August 19-21, we’ll do one of our “favorite” outings: Anything That Floats. With this theme, we include boats, kayaks, sailboats, fishing bobbers and human beings! We’re heading to Rock Cut State Park near Rockford for a weekend campout to end the summer. The youth campground is right on the shore of beautiful Pierce Lake and we have a large area for tents, cooking and activities. Scouts planning to camp should bring their permission slip and $15 for food to the Aug 15 troop meeting. (There is a $4 charge to swim at the lifeguard-protected beach; you can pay at the park).
This outing is also an opportunity for families to join us on Saturday evening. Bring a dish to pass and we’ll add some camp-cooked goodies to make a feast. You may also camp Saturday night if you like. Please let us know on Aug 15 if your family will join us.
Grab the permission slip and join your fellow Scouts.
On July 27, the North Star District’s Advancement Committee met to review the credentials of Nick Borovka for the rank of Eagle Scout. After a thorough review of his documentation and a detailed interview, the Board of Review announced that Nick was our newest Eagle Scout. Well done, Nick! It’s been quite a journey….beginning with Tiger Scouts at 6 years old. Congratulations!
Tonight’s PLC has been cancelled – enjoy your free evening.
There will be a 30-minute PLC during next week’s troop meeting at Jones Island.
Kevin G, Senior Patrol Leader
Mr. Klemens, Scoutmaster
Help our veterans this Saturday, July 23, at the American Legion Post located at 703 N US Hwy 12, Fox Lake.
A group of fisherman are honoring disabled and paralyzed veterans. They are taking the vets out in the morning for a day on the lake. They will be coming back to shore about 11:00 a.m.
We have been asked to help serve food, chat with the veterans and clean up from 11:00am to 2:00pm. Burgers and hot dogs, and water will be provided. Sodas will be for sale.
Scouts are asked to wear their uniform shirt.
Cell/text (847) 650-8025
Beginning on July 18 and continuing for four weeks until August 8, our Monday troop meeting will be held on Gray’s Lake at Jones Island Park. The Park is located on the corner of Harvey and Alleghany on the northwest corner of the Lake. We will meet from 7-8:30 as usual but no uniforms are required. Wear a Scout-related shirt and bring your favorite summer gear: watercraft, Frisbees, soccer balls, etc.
Here are some last minute Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan reminders:
1. The troop will gather at the east end of the StG parking lot on Sunday morning at 7 AM.
2. Have a lunch packed for the trip to camp. We’ll stop and eat in Marion, Wisconsin. (Be sure to put your name on it.)
3. The money you are bringing to camp should be in an unsealed envelope with your name and amount on the front. Our “banker Mr. Symonds” will count the money with you and place the money in the bank for safekeeping. Don’t forget to bring small denomination bills for use at camp.
4. If you need to take medicine while at camp, your medicine must be in the original container as received from the pharmacy and placed into a zip-lock plastic bag. The bag must also have your name on it. Ideally, you should only bring the medicine you need for the time in camp (don’t bring a full bottle).
5. Be sure to either wear your swimsuit or pack it on the top of everything else so you can quickly get to it. We will go for swim checks shortly after arriving at camp.
6. Don’t forget to wear your uniform and bring your sleeping bag. (Yes, they have both been forgotten!)
7. Pack using the checklist on the website. You can get a copy here.
8. Put your name on everything!
We will not be meeting on the Fourth of July. Be safe and have fun on Independence Day!